The Strategic Management Society is pleased to announce our 7th annual Doctoral Workshop to be held Saturday, September 11, preceding the Strategic Management Society Conference in Rome, Italy. The Doctoral Workshop will be held at the Rome Marriott Park Hotel, site of the SMS Conference.
We are also proud to announce that 25 scholarships will be funded through the generous support of the Society for the Advancement of Management Studies (suppliers of the Journal of Management Studies). These scholarships will be offered through competitive entry and review of students for the Doctoral Workshop. The scholarships will cover costs of the Doctoral Workshop, with all meals including a Saturday evening reception and dinner, as well as a waiver of the SMS Conference Registration Fee.
The workshop will be led by Jay Anand (Ohio State University) and Pierre Dussauge (HEC-Paris) . Names of additional faculty members taking part in the workshop will be made available in future correspondences as well as in announcements on the SMS website.
The Doctoral Workshop is intended for doctoral students at the early stage of their dissertation research. The Workshop will be highly interactive and will includes a variety of panels as well as, practical sessions on developing dissertation proposals and launching academic careers, and a meet-the-editors session.
Nominees must have completed the initial comprehensive examination and coursework (or equivalent) of their doctoral program; preference will be given to those just commencing the formal work on their doctoral topic. Acceptance of a paper at the main Strategic Management Society conference is not required, but attendance at the conference is expected.
Application materials should include:
- Nomination/recommendation letter from a faculty member (with contact information)
- A one-page summary of the applicant’s career to date
- A 300-word description of the applicant’s research interests
Other things being equal, preference will be given to nominees
- who are current members of the SMS
- who have their nomination letter from a current member of the SMS
* Only one (1) nominee per school will be accepted to the Doctoral Workshop; schools should only nominate one (1) student. While self nominations are accepted, we encourage each institution to pre-select a candidate and nominate that individual.
All application materials should be submitted to rome.strategicmanagement.net by June 7, 2010.
Doctoral Workshop Timeline
- June 7, 2010
- Submission Deadline for Applications
- September 11, 2010
- Doctoral Workshop
- September 12-15, 2010
- SMS 30th Annual International Conference
To see the complete version of the Doctoral Workshop Call for Nominations, please download the provided PDF.