Mitchell P. Koza Rutgers University Chair
Call for Papers
Global Strategy Interest Group
Paper Development Workshop
Saturday, September 11, 2010 1:30-5:30pm
The Global Strategy Interest Group is organizing the Paper Development Workshop (PDW) to be held in Rome, Italy, from 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm on Saturday, September 11, 2010, as part of the pre-conference program of SMS Annual Conference. The PDW is organized by the GS Interest Group but is open to all members of the Society. The purpose of the PDW is to provide junior scholars with developmental feedback on their current research projects in global strategy and an opportunity to network with editorial representatives of several major journals. While we hope that many of these papers will be eventually submitted to SMJ, GSJ, or SEJ, the purpose of the PDW is broader: to improve the quality of global strategy research and bring new scholars into the field.
We invite original papers from junior faculty members who have not previously published in any of the SMS’ flagship journals. In particular, we hope to attract papers from scholars:
- (1) who are located in universities in emerging economies or in universities that offer limited support for international business research
- (2) who are trained in other disciplines (e.g., political science, organizational behavior, sociology) but interested in conducting international business research
- (3) who may be located in non-university settings (e.g. consulting or research institution)
- (4) who are located in traditional schools of business or management.
The PDW will be structured to provide feedback to authors with research papers, and to researchers who are designing empirical studies, on global strategy topics. Authors of research papers will work in small groups along with members from well published scholars and members of editorial teams in select journals, to get feedback on improving his/her paper. The PDW will include a plenary session on theory development and study design with leaders of several major journals. Participants will work in small-groups to discuss successful publication strategies. Faculty members will include Mitchell P. Koza (Chair), Kazuhiro Asakawa, Africa Ariño, Charles Dhanaraj, Nancy DiTomaso, JT LI, James Robbins, Steve Tallman, and others.
Participation at the PDW is limited. Participants will be invited based on the quality of their submitted work. Submissions can be either full research papers or proposals (similar to the SMS conference submissions). Papers and ideas should be submitted using the upload site. The deadline for submissions is Aug 6, 2010.
Accepted participants will be notified about the acceptance of their submissions no later than August 8, 2010 and will need to confirm their participation in the PDW by August 15, 2010.
Please address any questions to Mitchell P. Koza.
Global Strategy Interest Group Paper Development Workshop Timeline
- August 6, 2010
- Submission Deadline for Applications
- August 8, 2010
- Accepted Participants Notified
- August 15, 2010
- Participant Confirmation Deadline
- September 11, 2010
- Global Strategy Pre-conference Workshop
- September 12-15, 2010
- SMS 30th Annual International Conference